Friday, May 13, 2011

European Cyclamen Leaves

I wanted to show the beautiful foliage of my European Cyclamen, Cyclamen purpurascens. Many people in my area don't realize that there are hardy Cyclamen species that can be grown in the garden. I have overwintered this one successfully for 4 or 5 years now. It blooms in the late summer to early fall with purple-pink flowers that look just like florist Cyclamen but are smaller. The leaves are evergreen and have purple undersides. Although I've had good success with this plant, it should still be treated as a zone 4 plant, meaning it needs winter protection in my area. I simply mulch it in late fall and remove the mulch in the spring. It grows in partial shade, receiving sun in the morning and the evening. The soil is rich and moist, but also well-drained. I find it quite easy to grow; it grows in the same bed as many of my lady's slippers and basically gets treated the same as them, although I probably don't dote on it as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment